10.01.2010

Can We Just Sing?


I blame my parents for my unfaltering love of harmonies and people making music together. My last trip home, I was reminded of how unnaturally theatrical my childhood was (Les Miserables re-makes, singing and dancing on our "stage" (aka in front of the fireplace in our PJ's), making music videos to send to grandma). Yep, it's no wonder where my love of music comes from.

Sounds dumb, but at the very basic level we're just human beings who use our vocal chords to talk to each other. Someone at some point realized that we can control the pitch of our voices and that different pitches sound good together. The result is a bunch of indie/folk bands like the Freelance Whales. These guys just bring a smile to my face because they seem to be having the time of their lives just making music. Simple. Ok sure, the banjo and the harmonium is kind of old news these days, but these guys certainly stand out from the rest of the ill-named indie bands trying to make it. AND they're coming to town soon...show not sold out. Anyone? Anyone?

. . . . . . . . . . . .

Was that hipster enough of a post for you all? To redeem myself, I have to admit that I've had Paramour's "Only Exception" song stuck in my head for days. The fact that she doesn't hit that low note in the chorus made me pay attention in the first place...but it's just so catchy! If you want to risk having this run on your life-soundtrack for days, click here: don't do it!

. . . . . . . . . . . .

Love love love NPR Music.

No comments: