10.25.2012

Freshly American


Yeeeesssss.....

Nats and I became Americans with just under 4000 other people yesterday in the LA Convention Center. We took the oath, handed over our green cards, watched a video from President Obama, and endured listening to people sing along to this song. When my parents became citizens, it looked like their ceremony was in a classroom. I was expecting a courthouse, not a warehouse! It was overwhelming to think that all 4000 of us were just a small portion of people accepting citizenship that day. Goodbye resident alien status!

Many people often gripe & complain about America, especially around this crucial and politically polarizing time. But politics aside and at the risk of getting cheesy, I am so thankful that I live in a country where I don't have to worry about safety and comfort. We were also reminded yesterday that as an American citizen, we can choose our own paths and futures if we have the drive and motivation to make it happen. I'll admit that I take these concepts for granted...we think about these things on days like July 4th and September 11th, but they are freedoms and luxuries that should be acknowledged every day, or at least often!

On a less serious note, in the oath, I said that I would bear arms to protect my country if needed but let's just get it on the record that I don't think it's in anyone's best interest to give me a firearm.

No comments: